Without looking these up, can you tell which of these statements were made by Joseph Smith and which were made by Jim Jones? (I’ll post the answers tomorrow.)
1. If I had not actually got into this work and been called of God, I would back out. But I cannot back out: I have no doubt of the truth. I speak boldly and faithfully and with authority. … I know what I say; I understand my mission and business. God Almighty is my shield; and what can man do if God is my friend?
2. I am causing untold thousands to believe in the Jesus of ancient history by the great miracles of healings, prophecies and discernments I perform in His name! Many have believed God to be dead until I showed them that He is as tangible as the food they eat and the air they breathe. Oh what a privilege it is to live in this recognition and be able to personify the Mind and Works of God in Christ, therefore enabling the pure in heart to see God, and know Him aright, which is life eternal.
3. Dissenters are running through the world and spreading various foul and libelous reports against us, thinking thereby to gain the friendship of the world, because they know that we are not of the world, and that the world hates us; therefore they [the world] make a tool of these fellows; and by them try to do all the injury they can, and after that they hate them worse than they do us, because they find them to be base traitors and sycophants
4. It is better to try for a right goal than to see the selfishness [of] those who, once believing, have turned their backs on their ideals. And I have never met such cowards and hollow, conniving people, as exemplified by some who have left and who have become so belligerent.
5. It is quite obvious that I have gone through the Valley of the Shadow and returned. You have nothing to worry about … because I did not bring you to this point to leave you without a future, without someone who loves you, who will plan and care for you.
6. I have been chained. I have rattled chains before in a dungeon for the truth’s sake. I am innocent of all these charges, and you can bear witness of my innocence, for you know me yourselves. When I love the poor, I ask no favors of the rich. I can go to the cross—I can lay down my life; but don’t forsake me. I want the friendship of my brethren.
7. As I grow older, my heart grows tenderer for you. I am at all times willing to give up everything that is wrong, for I wish this people to have a virtuous leader, I have set your minds at liberty by letting you know the things of Christ Jesus. When I shrink not from your defense will you throw me away for a new man who slanders you? I love you for your reception of me. Have I asked you for your money? No; you know better. I appeal to the poor. I say, Cursed be that man or woman who says that I have taken of your money unjustly.
8. I am loving. I have taken in people who have betrayed me. I have forgiven them. One man I saved. … but he didn’t know me in those days, and he … made false charges. But I took him in when he got the light, and I’ll take you back many times. I forgive more than anybody you ever heard of, including your God in the Bible. Matthew 18:21-22, “Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.”
9. My only desire is to establish the great work of Jesus Christ on our troubled globe. I have taken the true scriptures to heart, where it declares in Philippians 2 for us to “let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God” and we are all created in His image and likeness. I am crucified with Christ; nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me.
10. I will prove that the world is wrong, by showing what God is. I am going to inquire after God; for I want you all to know Him, and to be familiar with Him; and if I am bringing you to a knowledge of Him, all persecutions against me ought to cease. You will then know that I am His servant; for I speak as one having authority.
11. I do not regard my own life. I am ready to be offered a sacrifice for this people; for what can our enemies do? Only kill the body, and their power is then at an end. Stand firm, my friends; never flinch. Do not seek to save your lives, for he that is afraid to die for the truth, will lose eternal life.
12. I am a sacrificial lamb. I am ready to be sacrificed. Either alive or dead, or imprisoned. In tumults, in riotings–Whatever man wants to do with me, I am here to glorify the name of Jesus! … They will take me and do with me what they will, but whatever they do, I will … thank God, for I have come to suffer. I have come to give my life freely, that people might be healed, that they might be free. … I will still do my work, because they that are against me cannot be as great as that which is within me. I have come with none other purpose than to do the will of him that sent me. I have come, dying daily, I have come crucified in the flesh, nevertheless I live, … but Christ sent me to be me. The life I live, I live not by the flesh … but by the will of the son of God.
13. I have no desire but to do the will of God. … I have only the desire to be God in the flesh, manifest to bring forth salvation in the name of Jesus. I have no other desire. So what can you do with me? There is nothing that you can kill, there is nothing you can destroy. I have no dreams, I have no ambitions but to do the will of God Almighty!
14. God is my friend. In him I shall find comfort. I have given my life into his hands. I am prepared to go at his call. I desire to be with Christ. I count not my life dear to me, only to do his will.